When does the council inspect works on site?
By law, the Building Control Officer must be told when the work reaches each of the following stages. The officer will then need to inspect your works:
- commencement (48 hours before commencing)
- excavation for foundations (24 hours before concreting)
- placement of structure on foundation (24 hours before covering)
- oversite prior to concrete (24 hours before covering)
- damp proof courses (24 hours before covering)
- drains (24 hours before covering)
- drains and soil and vent pipes testing (not more than five days after completion)
- occupation before completion (not more than five days before occupation)
- completion (not more than five days after completion)
- Electrical first fix.
It is normal for other intermediate inspections to be carried out, for example to inspect structural steelwork and floor/roof timbers. The Building Control Officer will be able to advise you if this is necessary. The Building Control Officer may also call at other times to check the work in progress.
The period of time in brackets is the amount of notification that a person undertaking the works is legally obliged to give the council. In practice it is generally possible for an inspection to be carried out on the same day that notification is given, provided that it is received before 10.30am that day.
Do I get a Completion Certificate when the works are finished?
Yes. If you have told us at the correct stages and your works have a satisfactory final inspection by the Building Control Officer you will receive a completion certificate. The completion certificate will be useful to a property owner for future property transactions and may be required by solicitors, banks or building societies. It indicates that the works have, so far as can be reasonably ascertained, been carried out to the Building Regulation standards. It is usually advisable to get this confirmation before making final payment to your builder.
Can I get copies of my Completion Certificate?
Replacement copies of lost or misplaced Completion Certificates can be obtained on application from the Building Control department on receipt of a fee of £36 made payable to St Edmundsbury Borough Council or by credit or debit card by phoning 01284 757387.